Monday, February 6, 2012

I Think Therefore I Am Should Not Be Interpreted As I'm Over-Weight Therefore I Can't.

For all the philosophers and people of reason out there, Rene Descartes was a great philosopher who used the quote, "I think, therefore, I am" as a basic foundation to all of his arguments and theories. I feel like too many over-weight people turn this into, "I'm over-weight, therefore, I can't."
Today before my Pilates class, I was talking to two over-weight women and stated that I had actually been anticipating yoga today, but found out I had misread the schedule and was going to Pilates instead. They both told me, "I'm too fat for yoga." At this I was taken aback. I thought to myself, I'm over-weight, I enjoy yoga. This statement is a foundation many over-weight people use to talk themselves out of group fitness and exercising period. 
Hopefully these tips will help you if you're having problems exercising as an over-weight individual.



  • Private Personal Training
    • Personal training is a great option for anyone not just people who are over-weight.
    • A fear many over-weight people have is the act of going to the gym. You can hire a personal trainer to come to your private residence or at a personal training studio.
      • Note not all personal training studios are alike and neither are all personal trainers. Look places up and get recommendations from friends.
  • Online Personal Training
    • Not everyone has the funds to have a personal trainer come to their private residence, this a good alternative, try Plus One active.
    • When you sign-up your assigned your very own personal trainer to set you up with a workout.
    • If you're a beginner keep in mind you won't have someone there to watch your form so you may want to consider doing a month of in-person personal training if you aren't sure about the exercises.
  • Recumbent Bikes and Cross Trainers
    • Recumbent bikes are great for people who need support while they exercise.
  • Exercise Ball
    • Some of the basic exercises you can try include sitting on the ball (try watching TV for a while and you'll feel your body working a little harder than usual), marching, or balancing by lifting one foot off the floor, holding, and then lifting the other foot. There are some great burst-resistant balls out there, many of which will hold up to 1,000 pounds.
  • Pedometer
    • If walking is your exercise of choice, a pedometer can be very motivating. Set an alarm to go off every hour and walk 50 steps. It might be hard at first to get into the routine, but well worth it in the end.
If you're obese or overweight, you sometimes have to be creative when it comes to exercise. There are many people talking about exercise and urging you to do it, but they aren't telling you exactly what to do if you can't do traditional exercises. The key is to find something that is comfortable for you, something you enjoy and something you'll continue to do over time. Remember to get checked out by your doctor before you begin exercising, especially if you have any health conditions or are on any type of medication.



No comments:

Post a Comment